Hi, I'm Mike. I’m a Senior Designer with over a decade of experience designing and building user interfaces. I’ve worked on projects with a user base of more than 7 million, IPOs with tens of millions on the table, and companies with gross revenue in the billions. My familiarity with user experience provides me the ability to work across the entire ecosystem of a project. From user/customer research, user testing, prototyping, user interface design, UI development, and integration. I’m also passionate about accessibility, maintainability, and performance and I’m always eager to share and teach teams.
At Cantina I helped prototype, produce and generate the account dashboard for the Empower Retirement, and I was instrumental in our work with Great West Annuities and PC Connection. I helped update Shoes.com homepage, including their header and footer and moved it to modern development practices. We were then contracted to rebuild their Product Details Page (PDP), and used modern practices like CSS Grid, Flexbox and helped teach them accessibility and performance best practices.
I have taught college courses, run workshops, and have a video series with O’Reilly Media, an American media company that publishes books and websites, and produces conferences on tech-centric topics. Some of my latest talks include CascadiaJS, HTML5 Developer Conference, NYC Creative Tech Week, BostonCSS, Great Wide Open, and Full Stack Toronto. I’m also the co-host of the Design, Build, Test, Repeat, a podcast about user interface design and web development.
Area of Expertise & Interest:
Accessibility (a11y), Design Performance, HTML, CSS, Sass/Less, Sketch, and Adobe Suite.
Other Fun Facts:
I earned my Permaculture Design Certificate, learning how to transition my suburban home into a eco-friendly and sustainable food forest.
BFA, Graphic Design - Endicott College
Where I’ve presented:
- O’Reilly books, “UI Introduction for Engineers”,- http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920035251.do
- CascadiaJS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMJ3fw4JqPI HTML5 Developer Conference, https://html5devconf.com/speakers/mike_kivikoski.html
- NYC Creative Tech Week, https://creativetechweek2016.sched.com/speaker/mike_kivikoski.1uoz3m3j
- BostonCSS, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPDJcQGrKIg
- Great Wide Open, http://greatwideopen.org/speakers/mike-kivikoski/
- Full Stack Toronto, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev3AtyAlwIQ
- Full Stack NH, https://www.meetup.com/fullstacknh/events/223108477/?_cookie-check=zzTo2tS-Gm06k7eu
- Creative Mornings, https://vimeo.com/41222601