Liberty Medical wanted to create an easy-to-use, interactive video solution that provided information and education to people with diabetes on managing the disease more effectively. Liberty’s vision was to launch a multi-platform site that provided a 6-step diabetes information and advice program, supported by videos from celebrity diabetes lifestyle management personalities and supplemented with in-line quizzes.
Challenge: High Production Value on All Platforms
The client wanted this project to have very high production value to match the quality of the educational videos. It was also important for there to be a high level of interactivity, and for the experience to run equally well on the desktop, smartphone and tablet. Specific goals included:
- Deliver a responsive design including compatibility with older browser engines such as IE8
- Have minimal to no impact on client IT department in terms of deployment and maintenance
- Create the same user and video experience across all target interfaces
Approach: Ground-up Mobile-first Responsive Design
Cantina took a ground-up, mobile-first approach to developing DiabetesEducation.com.
- Used latest technologies and best practices including HTML5 Push State, and the History API
- Brightcove Video Cloud delivers video in either Flash and HTML5 experiences depending on user browser/platform
- Brightcove Video Cloud manages all video related content including title, description and chapter information
- Baked-in video interactivity: quizzes and hot spots occur within flow of video experience and seamlessly return user to video playback
- Responsively designed to display optimal experience on desktop, smartphone and tablet
- Followed SEO best practices such as a Google-optimized video sitemap
- Performance optimized for fast and efficient performance across target browsers and platforms
Results: Fully Functional Project Delivered on Time with Minimal IT Impact
Cantina delivered the project on time, fully functional and ready to install, with minimal impact on the client’s team and no impact on corporate IT. The project was handed over with thorough documentation so installation was straightforward for client’s web hosting team. No follow-on training, help or guidance has been required. The simplified yet powerful solution enables chapters, chapter order and video content to be managed through Brightcove Video Cloud metadata.
You can visit DiabetesEducation.com here.
You can download a .pdf of this case study here.