As noted previously, working in-browser when creating an App Cloud app is hugely useful as turn-around time is faster and the development tools are much better. While creating our first app we also created a tool called the App Cloud Emulator which further supports in-browser development. Main features include:
- Displays your application inside the device with the same resolution as on-device.
- Toggle between portrait and landscape orientations. Change in orientation triggers the same JS events the device API would normally.
- Toggle between iPhone and Android devices (back button support for Android).
- Support for tap/click and scroll (provided by default).
- Buttons for firing swipe left/right events on the current view.
- Access to all views included in the manifest.xml with icon (if provided).
- Easy installation: just drop it in your application root. Only used in development and doesn’t have any effect on production (other than the file size which is about ~500KB total).